Thursday 11 November 2010

Royal China Review

Hey guys,

Can't sleep tonight so might as well do something useful to make myself tired huh? This post is gonna be a review of the Royal China restaurant in Queensway, London, a short walk down from Barbican tube station.

I went there yesterday for lunch because I've been watching too much of Cooking Master Boy and was craving for Chinese food. And I must say, the place impressed me with its ambience.

From outside it doesn't look like much but once you go in, you see that it is actually quite big. The walls are polished black with golden phoenix motif and the walls are squares of mirror-like tiles.

I ordered 3 things this time, Mixed seafood fried noodles, siumai (pork dumplings) and charsiu cheung fun. Overall the I found the food good, especially the fried noodles.

This is what the noodles look like. And yes first impression was it looks great! They definitely didn't skimp on the seafood. I felt like a food critic whilst being hungry and took my time to taste it.
  • First of all the noodle I ordered was crispy, meaning it quickly soaked up the sauce. It itself is nothing special.
  • The sauce was nice, not too salty and slightly sweet! Just right!
  • The prawns are huge! They are cleaned more or less properly and was sweet to taste.
  • The mange tout and carrots were crispy and sweet tasting, really liked it's crunchiness.
  • The fish was nothing special. In fact it was quite tasteless, but the texture was smooth and felt fresh.
  • Finally the scallops. All I can say is... I love the scallop. If you take the time to taste it, the taste just swarms every inch of your mouth. :O~
Next came the cheung fun. I don't know if you can see from the picture, but its fillings are charsiu (roast pork) and coriander. With the sauce, it tastes quite nice, the skin is smooth but tough enough.

Finally came the siumai! I love siumai, it's my favourite dimsum dish. Just thinking about it makes me hungry at 2am TTwTT... Anyway, the siumai here was nothing special although the pork and prawn combination were a little inconsistent. But, it was tender nonetheless and the taste was quite good.

When all was done, came the bill.. £18.80 for one person. LoL it was one of those days you feel like spoiling yourself. I can say it was money well spent for the quality you get and the place gets pretty busy during lunch time. Though the forced tips charged was kinda...

I'd give Royal China a 4 out of 5 for this experience. Although this was my first time going, I would recommend Royal China to anyone who likes Chinese food and wants to treat themselves a bit. The price for the food is typical for a restaurant like this. The service is alright, at least the staff smile at you at times and asks you if you want anything else and such lol.


~Fox

0 comments:

Post a Comment