Tuesday 30 November 2010

Taro Japanese Restaurant Review

Hey all!

Here's a review of a Japanese Cuisine Restaurant we went to the other day. Taro's situated on 10 Old Compton Street W1D 4TF, just a while from Tottenham Court Road tube station.


In my previous 3 years stay in England, I only remember having Japanese food twice. And frankly, they both were costly, and sucked.


So when my girlfriend said a friend of ours recommended Taro, I was skeptic at first until she said the friend was the one who recommended the Korean restaurant we liked.


Anyways we went as a party of 4: me, my sis, Shin and her bro. And here's what we ordered:
I got the tonkatsu ramen. Honestly, it was THE best ramen I had in my life! It didn't only look good, it tasted awesome! The soup base taste was what I imagined it was for a ramen base, and more. Sadly the restaurant back home only used miso soup. This one however, is hypnotising; a spoon full of the soup shines golden~ (or maybe that's just me) I give this dish 5 exploding volcanoes out of 5.
Sis had the bento. She thought it was pretty good but I didn't like the over sticky rice lol.
Shin's bro had tonkatsu curry. He thought it was pretty good too and said the rice was too much lol.
Shin had the chicken udon I think. She also seemed satisfied with it. The soup was miso though, so I thought mine was superior! Mwahaha.
Finally I wanted to try their sushi. This was sub par and waaay below my expectations. The front piece... I actually put wasabi and ginger on it, and realised I didn't take a picture. My sis told me to turn it over and so I did and we lol'd. The salmon looked bigger from there. So I went "LOL I should over turn the rest then!" And when I did, the top right one.... is only rice. It was the butt of the roll. Taste-wise, I've definitely had better. I did say I wasn't impressed with the over sticky rice, and coupled with the small portion of filling, made a pretty tasteless rice ball.


Conclusion
All in all, I thought Taro was pretty good! If you like Japanese cuisine for a budget price, this is the place to go! The taste and quality (for the most part) is better from the others I've tried. But do order the bento(set meals) or noodles or something. The sashimi and sushi on the other hand, will have you pay through the nose.


Definitely worth a try if you are looking for a new place to have lunch or dinner. Oh and they charge 10% service charge during evenings so dinners are more costly.

I would say Taro gets a 4/5 just because the ramen outweighs the bad experience significantly!





~Fox

2 comments:

  1. There is no "Tonkatsu ramen" in Japanese Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the best way to describe that dish though, fried pork cutlets in ramen ;D

      Delete