Monday 28 March 2011

The King's Speech Review

Hey guys!

Just watched The King's Speech with Shin and my sis and here's a quick review of it. This movie is something I have heard highly of from friends who've seen it but I was sceptical on whether it was purely good or it was just based on preference; I thought "How can a speech be all that interesting?". However, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I know I'm a bit late for the review but I hope to coax others who have yet watched it to catch it when they can.

Synopsis: The King's Speech is a movie about Prince Albert, Duke of York, later to become King George VI of England, and is portrayed by Colin Firth. The Prince, wanting to overcome his stammer, consulted Lionel Logue, a speech therapist played by Geoffrey Rush, for help. The story's core is basically the stammer from which Prince Albert is unable to make a good conversation let alone a nationwide speech.

Colin Firth's acting in this movie is so unbelievable and so well done that it is hard for me to find the words to describe it. The overall acting in this movie is brilliant! Their talking and gestures makes it seem as if you are just looking through a window as you witness and learn more about each character.

Music accompanying scenes really set the mood and there is nothing noteworthy about it other than that fact.

Humour plays a part if not a big one in this movie. Snide remarks and amusing situations amongst others make it light hearted at some parts while still being relatively serious. I did love one part with massive swearing but I'll leave you to see for yourselves on that one haha.

Scenes move as if with the emotions of the audience, it doesn't let the feeling built up to hang and get lost but carry on to shape that feeling into a different one, may it be good or bad. There was one scene where after ascending as King, Albert returns to his family with arms wide open to his daughters for a hug only to see they curtsey before him and called him "Your Majesty". That was quite a sad moment for me :(

All that said, I definitely give this movie a 5/5 and I am not surprised The King's Speech had won so many awards! A must watch but I should say, it is not for kids not because of the swearing but simply I guess they'd probably have no interest but hey, I may be wrong.


~Fox

3 comments:

  1. Judging by the poster i can sense a bit of humor in it, i mean look at that guy on the right, he's got a 'Y So Srs?' face on haha jk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, yeah he is a very "y so srs" guy ahah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story of the stuttering king of England is a story of friendship. To behold how Geoffrey Rush slowly teaches Colin Firth to talk without fear and stutters while they are bonding, is a pleasure. Every scene between those two acting giants is pure gold.

    ReplyDelete