Sunday 3 June 2012

Loving Music, Loving Life

Hey everyone!

Lazy Sunday here in Brunei. After bringing my mum out for breakfast and then coming home, I came across a nice little titbit of music posted on Facebook (rare these days as most of the stuff I see are random propagandas and crap). It was an instrumental cover by these two talented individuals calling themselves "The Piano Guys" on Youtube.



The cover was on David Guetta's "Without You". Seriously, the tune blew me away. I was truly captivated by their rendition I ended up replaying it a few times. I've heard their take on the Star Wars themes before, and I loved it too, but this piece sent me over the edge and subscribed to them aha.

I have always been an avid lover of music, classical music was what I loved from the tender age of 10 or so. While everyone was taking a liking to the latest and greatest bands on those times, I went for Mozart and Beethoven. Come to think of it, I was a hipster before there were hipsters, huh. My closest friends didn't judge, much; only occasionally mentioning the music is putting them to sleep when they come over to stay for the night and as we should know, there's not "sleep" in sleepovers.

Like many others, I have musical aspirations, ever since I was young I wanted to be good in Guitar and Piano. However, my conflicting trait is that of sloth, I never got around to do it. The most I've done was learn "Tong Hua" by a singer called Guang Liang on the piano and started doing "To Zanarkand" from Final Fantasy X but never finished. I even took it so far as buying a pricey guitar during my second year of university a few years back. I remember doing price research online for more than a week, looking at reviews, prices, and even looked for sound clips and videos so I can get a feel on how that model sounds. All was brilliant; then came the moment when I actually have to buy one. You know, I realise I'm awesome and grasping concepts and theories; it all plays out well in my mind, but when it comes to application, that's when only two words become dominant: "What do?" hahaha

On a certain capitalism day on the 14th of February 2009, a back-then-forever-alone me went to the music store in Canterbury, Kent, UK. I tried a few instruments, then who knows, through destiny or maybe even educated selection. I chose my guitar. Until today, strumming it sends a wave of euphoria, the sound of my guitar shakes my soul (lol dramatic much). But it's true, I never regretted getting this guitar, only regret not being hardworking enough to maximise it's use. However, regret is a wasted emotion, I should seriously pick it up again!

As I mentioned, I love music; it's a part of how I live everyday. If one of the days I go out without a song in my mind and heart, I know something's amiss. Sometimes I have a song stuck in my head, and I sing to it in my head; head-banging even. To everyone else, I'm some weirdo who's content with bobbing my head haha.

Well that was a long story to tell, hope it wasn't a bore :P

So, dear readers, how does music impact YOUR life?


~Fox

5 comments:

  1. you like classical music?! seriously?!
    never thought i'd know someone who liked classical music!
    u sir! got good musical taste, as a reward, here's a cookie! O
    likewise, i too listen to classical music, as well as almost every genre ranging from asian instrumentals to western country to heavy metal xD

    dubstep is the latest genre to slightly come into my list
    mostly are terrible but there are 1 or 2 which are pretty good

    music like you said is a part of your everyday life, and for mine and i believe a lot of other people out there too..
    and you know when you're bout to leave the house and you've got a feeling that you forgot something but you don't know what it is?
    when im music deprived i get that same feeling and listening to music fills that gap :)

    whenever i discover a good song, i tend to put it on repeat and listen to it over and over again till im sick and tired of it
    then i find another song, rinse and repeat xD

    i think my most listened to ever was 'let go' by Yoshika & m-flo which lasted probably a whole month or more when i discovered the song early last year
    http://youtu.be/HOsiSE_JTOM
    last time i checked, i played that song over a thousand times LOL
    still sounds pretty good today.. 8D
    what's your most listened to song/music?

    also, try this for classical and tell me what you think...best blasted into your headphones
    Apolyptica - nothing else matters
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hssb3Do42w

    Yorgos Kazantzis- As Ballad
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEgL6McDc6o

    recommend your favs too if you've got any hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow~ You're quite the music aficionado aha!

    Apolyptica is brilliant, I heard one of their songs randomly during an event I participated in. I myself listen to everything and anything that's good LOL. There's no proper genre to categorise them in.

    Siblings sometimes go "eww you got so-and-so on your iPhone" and I just say "I have anything that's good LOL" Don't really care about the artists.

    I don't count me replays but it could be almost like yours cos 3+ thousand minutes of the same song might be a bit much to me hahaha!

    Back in the UK a friend of mine introduced me to this guitar duo called Depapepe. My all time fav from them is Summer Parade. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4yvjAemkGs

    Makes you have this image of an awesome no? XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insta-fav! i've never heard of Depapepe, but within the next 3 hours i'll own all their discography....if you know what i mean hahaha

      they reminded me of Kotaro Oshio, who's also a great guitarist...also from Japan...

      Delete
    2. Asians LOL O:! Then I shall request your copy to.. uh... borrow. :P

      Delete
    3. No probs, here you go!
      http://ainnouta.wordpress.com/2009/08/05/depapepe-album-collection/
      please remember to 'return' it XD

      Delete