Friday 15 October 2010

Welcome to Minecraft

Hi all, 


It's 05:47 and I decided 2 hours ago that I am not going to sleep and just last the whole day today then sleep a little earlier tonight to fix my body clock. ...or attempt to fix.


A few days ago I was completely bored and after trying some MMORPGs like Lost Saga and Mabinogi EU, I was still bored and even resorted to downloading (half-way then stopping) Maple Story EU. Gasp


Aaaaaaanyways, since I reached the epitome of boredom, I decided to give a game called Minecraft a shot and in this post I'll show screenshots I took while playing the world (which I failed epicly and won't go into it in detail for now).


What's Minecraft about?
First of all, Minecraft is a proper sandbox game with no goals to win whatsoever; I guess you could say you set your own goals. Every time someone starts a game, a new totally unique and different terrain is generated. And by unique I mean I am safe to assume no 2 players have a 100% similar game map without save file sharing.


Basically you are the Robinson Crusoe of a blocky world. And when I say blocky, I mean blocky. Almost everything is made of cubes and/or cuboids or at least simple pixelly goodness. Animals such as sheep, cows and pigs are cube-ish. Sheeps drop cubes of wool when hit etc etc. I won't go into more detail since that's all you need to know. I found it more fun to explore the mechanics yourself or go look on the internet. There are tonnes to do in the world ranging from gathering supplies and resources, constructing monuments or even making your own personal roller coaster!


My life in Minecraft
Here's a collection of screenshots I took when I was running though the world as a newbie.


My attempt to build a house failed when the sun set and I ran out of wood. The "roof" you see is actually just one block covering my head and cowering in fear of the sounds of the night
After that I completed the fail-hut and went on my merry way to explore the world and surprise surprise, I lost my way, night came again and I had to resort to.......


Covering all around me with dirt














As day came I broke out of my dirt cocoon and, still lot and wasting time looking for base, I decided to build a second house which.... had zombie sounds even during the day, but I didn't bother to do anything about it.


Sadly though I don't have a screen of that moment.


Another swift death came and I once again lost my way looking for the second house, so I decided to build another house. Which is bigger but similar to my second




And got a visitor that night as it came to day






I went out to... "greet" him with my sword, but who would've thought he had a friend with him
 and though I graciously "said hello" to him, his friend said hi back with an arrow in my head.


Respawning, I tried to find the third base and I found...
This half finished face

and this funky rock formation
Wandering for ages, I found my second house again, which made me rage. So I decided to make myself a lookout tower.

The work was nerve wrecking

But as night came, I completed the platform

The light in the distance is what I use to navigate and tell me where the second house is. It wasn't easy to use though...


I decided to kill time with some sniping, wasted all my arrows

When day came, I enjoyed a the sight of baptism by fire

And decided to marvel at the tower I made to hide from creeps.. with bacon

Outside this house was a small cave which I then dug downwards and found a cavern! It is things like this that made me awe at the complexity of a map. It's not just the surface, but the caverns were lying in waiting for someone to find it.

Huzzah! A new world to plunder!



Naturally I looked around and found a stream and pond and especially this waterfall. Sadly though, I was so newb that I didn't know the blocks with yellowish spots were iron ore, useful stuff

And lava..fall spitting at me

I ventured deeper into the cavern and met with lots of mobs resulting in lots of deaths and fail-beacons made it hard to find the house. Finally resulted in a nerd rage quit and remake of a new world  but before that...

I sent my pretties to set the creeps on fire

Final words
Well that was all that I took on my journey to the unknown cube world. All I can say is, the screens don't do the game enough justice; it is something you should experience yourself. And right now Minecraft is in the Alpha phase, so they are selling it for half price. It is predicted to double to 20 Euros when they hit beta so get it and save some money!

The site is www.minecraft.net try the Minecraft Classic to have a feel of what it's like, but it definitely is not as great as Alpha.

There are also impressive architecture created by people which can be seen in youtube. Though I don't think someone made this, I wish to share its awesomeness. Please watch until the end, it's made of win.





And with that I leave you. Just want to say... I'm freaking tired right now.... And you know what effed up my body clock.

Have fun and thanks for reading.



~Fox

0 comments:

Post a Comment